A long-time Saint James School tradition is making a major comeback—and we want you to be a part of it. Please join us in welcoming back the Saint James School Invitational Basketball Tournament, scheduled for March 10-12, 2016. The event will be held on our home court, at Saint James School, in Hagerstown, MD.
The Saint James Invitational Tournament (SJIT) was first held in 1974, setting the standard for high school basketball tournaments. Now, it is poised to return, better than ever.
The tournament will once again bring nationally recognized high school teams from around the country to play high-level, competitive varsity basketball. We are proud to reinstate this important part of the School’s history, and with it, the opportunity for Saint James athletes to play national-level basketball against exceptional teams, and to earn recognition for their talent and hard work.
The enthusiasm, patronage and support of our community is vital to the success of this tournament. By joining us for this momentous event, you’ll have the opportunity to cheer on our student athletes, to reconnect with alumni (including former SJIT athletes), and to be a part of a defining moment for Saint James basketball. Following the tournament, on Friday and Saturday evenings, the School will host an alumni reception welcoming back all of those who care deeply about this event. We will share more about these events in the coming months.
SJIT Fast Facts: Did You Know?
The first SJIT was held in 1973. Think "Watergate" and the release of the movie, Chinatown for a little historical context.
- The annual tournament continued for an impressive 29 seasons until 2002.
- The SJIT gave rise to NBA players including:
- Tracy McGrady (retired, Orlando Magic)
- Dennis Scott (retired, Orlando Magic)
- Jerry Stackhouse (retired, Brooklyn Nets)
- Jason Capel (retired, KK Crvena zvezda of the Naša Sinalko Liga, Serbia)
- Don Anderson (deceased, Florida A&M Assistant Coach)
- The tournament provided a “blueprint for other tournaments,” setting the standard for how to run a national-level high school basketball competition.
- By the 1980’s, the SJIT brought four national and four regional teams together to compete.
- Eight teams will play in the 2016 SJIT.
How to Support the SJIT
Are you interested in sponsoring this event? If so, we are delighted to offer several sponsorship levels. Learn more by emailing SJIT@stjames.edu